January 16, 2011

Creating Emotion


Recently, I have taken the opportunity to catch up on long over-due reading. First to find out how I could better use the ideas I have rolling around in my head, and next to better use the images that I create.

One of my favorite blog sites brought to mind a topic that I have taken for granted: pictures should move us. They should create an emotion inside of the viewer, take us to another place, motivate us, draw us in. The phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" is really true. Few words can describe what we feel at that exact moment we see something. But a picture can take us far away.

At the moment of writing this, I am in a happy place mentally and physically. I am at a place I enjoy going, and I am having my favorite iced beverage. Watching the rain fall on the parking lot and rain drops bouncing off the cars, people dancing in and out trying not get wet. I have the internet playing Pandora radio when a song Suffocation Keep by The Slip came on. Although I have never heard the song, it just adds to the feeling. I found myself transported to where I had once watched the rain come down this much. As I start to feel the joy of that place, it makes me smile inside and out: Ft. Wayne Indiana. My childhood home.

As I think of all the great places and people back there, another song plays and takes me even further: Send Me on My Way by Rusted Root.

Transported, I stare out of the window which is framed as if it were a camera lens. The words are true, a picture can take us away. It can create an emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment